24th of June 2015
Building a new home in Melbourne? Designing your kitchen can be daunting! So to guide you in the right direction I have teamed up with Nostra Homes to highlight the key trends to keep an eye out for when planning your new kitchen:
• Open plan designs are here to stay. Being the hub of the home, the kitchen is where most families spend the majority of their time, either with each other or entertaining with friends. The open plan design, which is integrated with the informal living and dining areas, maximises interaction with friends and family.
• The inclusion of a workstation hidden behind kitchen cabinet doors, or those which are an extension of the kitchen cabinetry, are found in the family kitchen more and more due to the increased demand for work/life balance.
• Today, people want to showcase a clean, streamlined and uncluttered space, with sleek lines and handle-less cabinetry dominating design. In turn, those with space are opting to include butler’s pantries – ideal for homeowners who love to entertain and keep their kitchen clean and simple.
• White continues to dominate in Australian houses, however timber grains, black and grey are featuring more readily as homeowners seek to make a statement with this room, or integrate the kitchen with the rest of the home. These colours add a hint of drama to the kitchen space yet provide a neutral base for accessorising.
• Matt surfaces are on trend, delivering a sophisticated finish. They also hide finger prints which is a big tick for me!
• Colour blocking in the kitchen is a great way to bring in colour without being overwhelming. Adding a feature row of contrasting cabinetry, in colour or timber grain, instantly transforms a plain kitchen into a dual-toned space with depth and unique visual appeal.
Should you believe Nostra Homes and Developments rights have been infringed, we encourage you to advise us. Should we successfully pursue the matter and be compensated, there will be a $5,000 reward.